Sunday, March 13, 2011

So blessed...

It's not very often that I sit down to think how blessed I am. I often take things for granted...like walking, talking, or even having full mental capacity. Friday was one of those days that made me think long and hard about how my life. I'm not a very good story teller, especially when it comes from getting things from my head onto paper, but here goes nothing.


Friday, my friend and I went out to lunch at a tea room. It was adorable, but your typical tea room...all delicate with a quiet atmosphere. As my friend and I were just tucking in to our meal, a lady at the table next to us randomly swiped her arm across the table, sending the sugar bowl, salt and pepper shaker, her drink, and various other glass items across the room. The lady quietly sat there for a minute, then just looked at us and said "I'm sorry." The two ladies who were with her quickly said, "Come on, let's go home. I think we've had enough for the day" and left. She was at the table alone, refusing to go, despite their entreaties. Eventually she did leave. After she left, one of the women came back to make sure everyone was okay. Everyone was, but glass was everywhere (in our food, drinks, jackets, etc). She whispered on the way out that the women had been out for somebody's birthday and the lady who had the episode was schizophrenic. After the women vacated the tea room, some older ladies in the corner began to talk about how that behavior was so inappropriate.


While I was shaken by the incident, as it is not everyday something like this happens, I began to count my blessings. My heart goes out to the women there, especially the one with schizophrenia. She had no control over her actions. A disease is a disease, whether it effects a person physically or mentally. I feel a sadness for those who are not open minded enough to realize that they should be counting their blessings rather than being so demeaning to a person's character. I am also thankful for this incident, for it really did remind me to count my blessings and be thankful for what I have.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that. It must be so terrible, to have people judging you like that over something that is, but isn't really your fault! Oh dear, how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I often take for granted all the blessing God has given me in life. I need to remind myself, especially when I'm in my "life isn't fair" moods, that I have more than enough and I am blessed.


    Thank you for sharing this and the reminder!

    ReplyDelete