Monday, January 31, 2011

January Books

So instead of doing a twice a year book list of all the books I've read, I going to start doing a monthly book list. That way I can give ya'll some more information about them, other than a quick one liner. These are the books I've read in the month of January.






The Hollow
Set in the town of Sleepy Hollow, The Hollow, follows a young girl named Abbey after the untimely death of her best friend. Being a typical YA novel, there is a beautiful mysterious guy, Caspian, who is very drool worthy. This book doesn't quite live up to its potential. It's book one of three and ends in a very lackluster way. However, since I'm not a quitter, I'll probably read the other two once they come out, just to find out what happens.








Prom & Prejudice
I love Elizabeth Eulberg. If you haven't read her other book, The Lonely Heart Club, go out and do it now. Prom & Prejudice is a modern reworking of Pride & Prejudice. It's done very well, unlike some other disappoints (i.e. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies...it had so much potential and failed miserably). I read this book in a couple of hours and couldn't put it down.






Awakened
This is the eighth book of the House of Night series. I'm so ready for this series to be over with, but yet there is a ninth and I'm thinking tenth book to follow. I'm not a quitter, so I keep reading to see what happens. This book truly reads like a YA novel (i.e. words such as bullpoopie) and is not one that will stand the test of time, as it's filled with tons of pop culture references. It's brain candy, but I'm started to get tired of a series that I once actually liked.












Matched
What else can I say, but that I loved this book. It was on my must read list, but got bumped up to the read now book after a couple discussions with some friends about the male protagonist, Ky. This book reminds me of a cross between 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and The Giver. It's not your vapid, run of the mill YA romance novel, but a beautifully written novel that truly shows how powerful words can be.









Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder
I had to read this book for one of my classes. It's a strange little book about the owner of the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA. Have any of ya'll been to it? After reading this book, it's definitely on my bucket list of places to go.














Water For Elephants
I didn't know what to expect from this book. I must say that I was persuaded to read this book because I wanted to see the movie, and my cousin's wife was talking about how good it was. Water For Elephants is a touching story, it flips between a present day Jacob (who's 90 or 93) and the Jacob of his youth. It was painful for me to read as Jacob reminded me of some of my family members who are getting older. However, while not the most pleasant of stories, it did keep me entertained. There were a few details that Gruen included that could have been left to the imagination, but I enjoyed it none-the-less.








Violence: Reflections on a National Epidemic
I had to read this for my new Masculinity and Violence class. It's a pretty interesting read about the constructs of violence in America. It focuses mostly on males and the act of shaming. I probably wouldn't have read this book if I didn't have to, but it was interesting none-the-less.






Hush, Hush
What can I say about Hush, Hush, except "Hello, Patch!"...I've found myself another fictional love. Basically the plot is about Nora who meets this mysterious guy named Patch. As in most books, Patch is more than meets the eye. It's a quick read and would recommend it to anyone. I loved this book.









Raising Cain
I had to read this book for my violence class. This book had nothing new to offer me, but it still was an interesting read. Basically, what the authors are saying, is that boys do not know how to express themselves emotionally. That's why they have so many problems.









Crescendo
I loved Crescendo. Patch is amazing. That's all I've really got to say. It seems to be a trend to make the second book of a series super painful, but it's always worth it when you reach the end. I was super happy with the last chapter of this book, until the last page and a half. Killer cliffhanger! I can't wait until the next book comes out in the fall!

2 comments:

  1. I'm adding Hush, Hush to the list. I debated reading Water for Elephants (I want to hear more about it). I LOVED Matched (it reminded me of 1984 too). I might read Prom and Prejudice. And I've read most of the House of Night series, but it started getting even more ridiculous and the story just seems like it's never going to end, yet I'm curious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading 'Matched' right now. Hopefully will have it read by the end of the week, if work doesn't kill me.

    I have also added 'Hush, Hush' and 'Water for Elephants' to my E-book wishlist!

    ReplyDelete