Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Kindness of a Stranger

Today was one of those days that kind of got off to a rough start. My favorite pair of jeans totally split down the leg. There must be some sort of invisible seam there or something. Anyways, I went to do some errands before class at Target. The lovely smell of Starbucks was tempting me, so I decided to go in. I remarked to my friend, Emma, who was with me, how much I liked this cup Starbucks had on display. I decided against buying it and went on ordering my drink. The man behind me picked up the cup and remarked how nice it was. He then proceeded to ask the barista how much it was. Being told it was $10 he said okay and purchased it. He then turned around and handed the cup to me with a simple "Merry Christmas" and walked away. I was absolutely gobsmacked. I did not know what to say. I just said thank you and Merry Christmas. I then proceeded to buy the next person's drink because this simple act of kindness touched my heart so much. I know it's the holidays and everyone has the spirit, but wouldn't life be a little better if we passed on little acts of kindness through out the year? It genuinely touched my heart and I will always remember how this act turned my day completely around. And to that anonymous gentleman out there, thank you from the bottom of my heart.


PS: If you want to be on my Christmas card list, make sure you email me at elysiepiecie {at} gmail {dot} com.

6 comments:

  1. you weren't still wearing the leg-split pants, right? haha, just kidding. this is awesome! it reminds me of oprah's pay it forward episode with the toll booth. and that coffee cup is SO adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, luckily I was at my apartment when my pants died. I think I would have died if it happened in public. Everyone would've gotten to see how white my legs are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story made me tear up. (Ok, so I'm a total sap.)

    The best thing about kind gestures is I personally believe they make both the giver and the receiver feel just as good. I am glad you paid it forward and got such a cute mug! What an amazing kind man. Thank you for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing Elyse! What a sweet man. And I love how you bought the next person's drink too. I find it so fulfilling to give as well, and I love I have friends that do the same :). Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story! I love when people pass on the kindness :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Elyse, I'm a writer working on a story for Ladies' Home Journal about acts of kindness, and we might like to feature this story in the magazine. Would you email me at mw at melodywarnick dot com so I can tell you some details and maybe ask a few questions? I'd totally appreciate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete