Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Incredible, Shrinking...

Elyse!! Well that's the plan at least. I usually don't like to talk about weight and stuff because it's such a touchy subject. But here I am talking about it anyways...

I just joined Weight Watchers in hopes of becoming a healthier version of me. I'm healthy, as in I exercise and don't eat poorly, but my body revolts against me. This is probably going to sound like a convoluted rant...which it partly is...but I was a thin girl growing up. Around eighth grade, when I stopped growing for a bit, I gained some weight. But when I started growing again, it went away pretty fast. I never thought I was a thin person until looking back at the pictures. Now, I wish I would've felt comfortable in my own skin, as I'm not now.



Thanks for the picture...



I've gained a good bit of weight since high school, but I'm confident in saying that it's not completely my fault. In my sophomore year of college I went to an endocrinologist to see why I was gaining all of this weight. My family and I thought it had something to do with my thyroid, since thyroid problems run in my family. It turns out that I have this thing called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Basically I get cysts on my ovaries, which plays with my hormones. Two of the major symptoms are acne and weight gain...both of which I had. If PCOS isn't a joy in and of itself, one of the "side effects" of it is insulin resistance. In other words my body produces too much insulin and doesn't know what to do with it. It's not diabetes, but it could be. So I want to get healthier to make sure it stays that way. Also, another down side of insulin resistance is that my extra insulin turns into fat. YUCK!



Anyways, I'm going to stop blabbering on about this. I just wanted to tell ya'll so that I can feel like I'm being held accountable for losing weight. I won't talk about it any more on this blog, but you can go here to help cheer me on. Hey, I could even change the name of it and add you as a moderator if you want to track your stuff too. The more the merrier!

3 comments:

  1. i think that it is great. and it's a part of your life, so of course we want to hear about it! i definitely am making this new year a time for myself to get healthier as well. it is much needed and i have been easy on myself for too long!

    i will be your cheerleader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment on my blog - you are so right, babysitting you get the best of it all! Cute kids and you can give them back at the end of the night. Perfect =) Good luck with Weight Watchers, go kick your bodys butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey we need to talk about this because I have the exact same thing. I have PCOS and they have labeled me as a pre-diabedic. My doctor has me on pills for the rest of my life to help me with this or I will be diabedic one day. So literally I understand I share your pain girl.

    ReplyDelete