Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Banned Book Week

Censoring what people read is not cool, especially when books like Speak, To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye (3 of my favorites) are banned books. I always hated that my local library never had books that had the slightest bit of controversy. Now that I'm a big girl out in the world, I have access to all these books, but my heart goes to those who do not. I wish the world wasn't so small minded. To me books help broaden our mind, foster imagination, and give us a little hidey hole to go to when reality can be just a little too much.



You can buy this poster here.


Here's a list of this year's newly challenged or banned books, which includes Twilight and The House of Night novels...just to name a couple. I'm sure The Hunger Games will eventually make the list too. Banned Book Week runs from September 25th-October 2nd. Celebrate by going out and and reading a banned book.

3 comments:

  1. I scrolled through like 1/6th of that list and almost had a rage blackout! So insane. Banning The Diary of Anne Frank?! WHAT?!

    This topic gets me heated girl. People need to stop think read it if they want, and if they don't...well then DON't!

    Love this post! Preach it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED CATCHER IN THE RYE! I think it is sad some people don't want kids to experience all life has to offer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we have already decided this is a subject that we have to avoid in conversation. Last time we talked about the banishment of "To Kill a Mockingbird" we were all but ready to burn the McDonough library down! All I am going to say is that if you think TKaM should be banned from school libraries for uing the "N" word, you obviously missed the moral of the story. And as far as HP and Twilight go, apparently people are wanting to raise their children to be dull, unimaginative, unintelligent prudes. And that's the word.

    ReplyDelete