Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eclipse Review!

So the time has come for the third installment of Twilight Saga…ECLIPSE! It’s my favorite book of the entire saga, and I could not wait for the movie to come out. After seeing it twice (once at midnight, then again the same day at 9:30 pm), here’s my take of what they got wrong and got right. Warning, if you haven’t seen it yet, don’t continue…I don’t want to accidentally give any spoilers. This is also a pretty long post without pictures...I'll be adding those at a later date when I can find some good ones.

What bugs me about the film:

They smashed up certain scenes together from the book, and switched around the characters doing/saying certain things. I understand that this is necessary to make a film adaptation, but the thing that gets me is the fact they continue to change minute details. What’s the point in that?

There was also something that was irking me after the first time I saw the movie that I couldn’t figure out until about half way during the second viewing…there was no mention of Wuthering Heights. Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favorite books; I read it every year. So, I’m a bit biased towards those parts mentioning Wuthering Heights in the book.

What I loved:

Hello Jackson Rathbone. You are gorgeous, I have always thought so. I’m so glad that David Slade showcased your gorgeousness and talent in this movie. I am Team Switzerland, but I am also Team Jasper. The Jasper scenes with Alice were always spot on, and that accent combined with the smirk ::drops dead::

Nikki Reed…Yet again, she’s gorgeous. I like Ashley Greene, she’s beautiful, but I think people often overlook how beautiful Nikki is. Yet again, David Slade highlighted another character beautifully. Nikki looks amazing as Rosalie (I think I have a bit of a girl crush on her), and I love her hair (not eyebrows) and wardrobe throughout the entire movie.

The small details that weren’t in the book, but made all the difference to me. Did anyone notice that painting at the foot of Jacob’s bed? That’s really a painting of La Push. It shows Akalat (James Island) and the sea stacks. Anyone want to make me one of them?

I won’t give too many details about specific scenes, but I loved the whole “sex talk” between Charlie and Bella. “I’m a virgin” :)

The proposal…the song, the general feel, everything was perfect. I was complete mush and my heart is still hurting thinking about it. When is it my turn?

How much The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner made added so much to Eclipse. I don’t want to give away anything, but seriously, loved it.

Generally, I must say that I absolutely loved the movie. Cinematically it’s the best film out of the three. The acting was so much better and it made me excited about the movies all over again. What did ya’ll think?

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! Great work Elyse! I haven't seen the movie yet, but you didn't spoil anything for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it!! I was actually pretty happy with the little changes they made for the movie. I didn't feel like anything was really missing. I totally agree with team jasper. He rocked it this time around! he totes added to the story and it was great! same with rosalie.
    **Spoilers**
    I'm going to swoon every time I watch the bedroom proposal. just having Edward talk about how he would court her and they would take chaperoned walks and sit on the porch and he would ask her fathers permission before getting down on one knee! I just melt. The hopeless romantic in me just can't handle it. This movie solidified my Team Edward status.
    we should talk in more depth about the details later. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danielle! Meghan, email me if you want to talk about it more, because I have a lot more I can say :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm I loved it. To put it simply. It was the best of the three. Every scene that Alice & Jasper were in, they stole it. I do kinda wish they would have done a flashback to them meeting though.

    & every scene Rosalie was in, I couldn't help but think "Why did they not color those eye brows!?!" But she is totally gorgeous.

    The virgin scene had me laughing so hard. & the bedroom/engagement scene? One word: Swoon.

    I really did love it! 8)

    ReplyDelete