Sunday, June 13, 2010

Meet Me In St. Louis

Since my last post...I ended my five year run as an after-school teacher, began nannying for the month of June, and went to St. Louis. Why St. Louis you ask? Well, a while ago I applied to four lovely grad schools. I got rejected by one, never heard anything from another, and got accepted into two. University Missouri St. Louis (UMSL) had the best to offer me. UMSL has an awesome program in Museum Studies, is giving me a full ride and a stipend for being a research assistant with Cahokia Mounds in Illinois.

Anywho, my parents and I went to fly out Thursday night to go apartment hunting and for me to meet some important people. Well, the airlines decided that just wasn't happening. My flight was cancelled! So what do we do? Drive 9 1/2 hours so I could keep my appointments with the important people. Oh goodness gracious, was that trip ill fated. My brakes in my car started messing up, we hit Bonnaroo traffic in the middle of no-where Tennessee, and there was a major road closure with detours on roads that weren't even on maps. I promise ya'll, I'm not exaggerating. We finally got to St. Louis at 5 am, where I got two hours of sleep before having to get up for appointments.

On the plus side of all this (because there is always a plus side), I got to meet my graduate advisor, who is absolutely amazing and made me feel so welcome. Even, if my only responses were "This is awesome" and "So cool!". I think I have an apartment right on the riverfront and by The Arch (fingers crossed, pictures to come if I get it). Also, I got to see where I'll be working for the next two years (Cahokia--America's first city?).

Yet, on the downside, I realized how far away from home I'm actually going to be. The flight is a little over 2 hours, which isn't bad. But what happens when flying isn't an option? That 9 hour drive really stinks. I'm not going to dwell on it too much, but I'm really going to miss my family and my friends.

2 comments:

  1. A few things that need to be addressed here. One: I am sooooo very excited for you. Two: You are getting that Riverfront apartment if I have to hold someone hostage. And Three: I am more than willing to drive nine hours to get to you when you can't come to me. Don't fret the distance. Your family and friends are a phone call, plane trip, or car ride away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! That is amazing!! what an experience that is going to be! kudos to you my friend. you're going to get that apartment and kick butt in grad school =D

    ReplyDelete