Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Under Pressure

Before I get into this post, I would like to acknowledge the fact that my posts aren't usually this heavy. It is a bit of a tangent and may not flow very well, but this issue has been irking me lately, so here goes nothing...

Bullying has been a big topic lately. I don't think kids today are more cruel than when I was growing up, I just think that they have new outlets to bully people through. Kids have always had the ability to be cruel. I was teased for always having a book with me, for having a last name that when the emphasis is placed on the wrong syllable makes it sound like a dirty word to a child, and for being quiet. Luckily I had a great support system of family and friends that helped me through the rough patches. And thankfully I still do.

It would be logical to think that once a child grew up, their way of thinking would grow up as well. WRONG. Whether it be the work place or at some other social setting, bullies still exist in the grown up world. I don't know what I would do without my support system to ground me. I am lucky enough to have great people surrounding me that understand why I don't really like to drink, that I am not the "typical" twentysomething that likes to party on the weekends, and who is considered "prudish" by today's standards. I really appreciate those people in my life.

Remembering what it feels like to be bullied, all bullies want to do is pressure a person into becoming so insecure about themselves that the person wants to change everything in their being. However, it is really the bullies who are under pressure. It is the bullies who are insecure with themselves. So insecure that they must pick and nag on others to make themselves feel better.

For those who have ever been bullied, or still are, I think The Sick Puppies' "Odd One" has a pretty good chin up message. You may be going through a rough time at the moment, but "Don't let someone tell you you're no one." One day it will be okay, what others think is not important. As long as you are happy with yourself and surround yourself with positive people, it will be okay.

To end on a less serious note...Edward Cullen does not approve of bullying.

4 comments:

  1. umm you're awesome and i think we would get along so well in real life! when you have a last name that sounds like a female reproductive organ it can sometimes be embarrassing. not the best nickname. i'm happy to hear that you aren't the typical twentysomething. it's hard living on campus where it seems like every other person goes out partying, but having those friends who respect your feelings is really nice.
    love your insight my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullying hurts my heart so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meghan! I think we would be totally awesome friends if we ever got to meet :) Yay for bloggy friends though!

    ReplyDelete